For my first solo episode of the year, I’m taking an itty bitty detour from analytics and data viz land and asking you a simple question:
What’s your New Year’s Resolution?
Between taming my insane calendar, finishing my toddler’s playroom and writing my first eBook, I have several daunting goals to choose from this year.
But if I had to pick one thing I absolutely must master this year, it’s productivity.
I’ve always been a bit of a productivity junkie (let’s be honest, I’m just technically lazy.) Discovering my first keyboard shortcuts was a transformative moment indeed.
And when I began applying neuroscience-based best practices for presentation and data visualization, I realized something…
That stuff takes time! I had to figure out a way to create more time for presentation storytelling and preparation.
That’s why I’ve committed to becoming more efficient through creating a working environment conducive to productivity. Especially because I’ve slogged through those late-night presentation crunch moments more times than I can count.
Here are my 5 best tips for staying productive when you’re burning the midnight oil on your next presentation!
In This Episode You’ll Learn:
- The real cost of constant workplace interruptions on our daily productivity
- How to stem the tide of external noise like your phone, email and social media
- The best tools for keeping your productivity plan on track
- The importance of taking breaks and working movement into your workday
- Strategies for communicating the value of your time and setting expectations
Resources and People Mentioned:
- Track where you’re spending your online time with RescueTime
- Do a home stretch: 17 Desk Stretches That’ll Almost Replace Going To The Gym by TheMuse
- Inbox Pause for Gmail
- How to Get Motivated During Your Next Presentation by ethos3
- Brain, Interrupted by the New York Times
- Workplace Distractions by The Wall Street Journal
- The One Thing by Gary Keller
- The Pomodoro Technique and Marinara Timer
- Is Sitting the New Smoking? by Forbes
- Eat Move Sleep by Tom Rath
- Save 15% on ConversionXL Live 2016 with my Speaker Code: LEASENTME
- Support The Present Beyond Measure Show with my Patreon Page
Upgrade Tip of the Day:
- Music is my favorite productivity jam, man. That’s why [email protected] is an essential tool in my productivity toolbelt. It’s an online radio station that streams carefully curated “neuro-music” that instantly boosts your concentration. It offers different moods and speeds to cater to your particular productivity needs. You can bet their brain-boosting beats are always playing when I’m in 11th hour mode. Click here to check them out!
- If you’re on Spotify, there are some excellent playlists for enhancing concentration called Deep Focus and Creativity Boost that you can check out as well.
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me. Have some feedback you’d like to share, or a question for me? Leave a note in the comments below, and I’ll get back to you!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the left of the post.
If you liked what you heard, I would love if you could leave me a rating or review in iTunes. Ratings & reviews are extremely appreciated and very important in the rankings algorithm. The more ratings, the better chance of fellow practitioners getting to hear this helpful information!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates and never miss a show.
As always, viz responsibly, my friends.
Show your support!
It is my greatest joy to bring you free content and incredible guest interviews to your ears. If what I’ve offered through the podcast has added significant value to your own work, please consider supporting my efforts through Patreon, a 21st-century reboot of artistic patronage.
Click here to visit my Patreon page to show your support! You have no idea what even $1 can do to help!