WHAT PRACTICAL DATA STORYTELLING MEANS WITH COLE NUSSBAUMER KNAFLICPresent Beyond Measure Ep. 023
This episode’s guest is best known for making data storytelling more than a flashy catch phrase in organizations across the country.
Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic has always had a penchant for turning data into pictures and stories. She’s honed her data visualization skills over the past decade through analytical roles in banking, private equity, and most recently at Google, where she developed and taught a course on communicating effectively with data.
I first discovered her as a teacher during the TechChange Data Visualization Course with Ann K. Emery, and was instantly hooked on her balanced, pragmatic, yet not dogmatic approach to practical data storytelling.
Today she helps organizations become more effective recently published amazon category bestseller through her blog, Storytelling with Data, and her acclaimed workshops. She recently published a wildly popular data visualization book, an Amazon category best seller, Storytelling with Data.
And in this episode, Cole dishes her top tips and insights into data visualization and practical applications on how to communicate effectively with data.Super Actionable Data Storytelling Tips with @StorytellingWithData (Interview) #dataviz Click To Tweet
In This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- Why adding techniques such as the power of repetition and a combination of plot, twist and ending are powerful aspects that can be used to tell stories with data. Stories are memorable – data is not!
- The importance of using ‘action words’ in meeting invites, presentation titles and slides which drives towards action and set expectations for the audience
- How the strategic use of color in presentations can be one of the most powerful tools for drawing audience’s attention – and which colors to avoid
- Why the message is more important than the type of graph used in a presentation
- Creative and intentional ways to walk audiences through your specific data message
People and Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Storytelling with Data – Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic
- Stephen Few of Perceptual Edge
- Resonate by Nancy Duarte
- Ann K. Emery, Data Analysis + Visualization
- Better Bullet Points Solution [Template]
- SearchLove Conference – London – October 17 & 18, 2016
- Larry Kim, Founder and CEO of MobileMonkey
- Wil Reynolds, Director of Digital Strategy of Seer Interactive
- Rand Fishkin, Founder and former CEO of Moz
How to Follow Cole:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me. Have some feedback you’d like to share, or a question for Cole? Leave a note in the comments below, and we’ll get back to you!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the left of the post.
If you liked what you heard, I would love if you could leave me a rating or review in iTunes. Ratings & reviews are extremely appreciated and very important in the rankings algorithm. The more ratings, the better chance of fellow practitioners getting to hear this helpful information!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates and never miss a show.
Special thanks to Cole for joining me this week. And as always, viz responsibly, my friends.
What’s your greatest struggle telling your story through data?