Theresa-Marie Rhyne is Here to Help You Viz with Color
As data visualization practitioners, we often do not realize just how important color is. In today's inspiring conversation, Theresa-Marie Rhyne, a leading expert in computer-generated visualization, talks about all things color.
Theresa-Marie works as a consultant, specializing in applying artistic color theories to a range of media and has also authored a book, Applying Color Theory to Digital Media and Visualization. We learn about the idea of color harmony and what this means for data visualization practice.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- What color harmony is and how data visualization can use this better.
- Why it is so important to understand the framework behind how we understand color.
- What the rainbow color map is and why this is a common mistake in data visualization.
- Some of Theresa-Marie's key rules for colorizing data visualization.
- The importance of knowing the type of data you have before deciding on your color scheme.
- About some tools that you can use to see whether you are color blind or have a color deficiency.
- What color interactions mean and the effect that this has.
- Valuable points to consider when applying a color palette to a dataset.
People, Blogs, and Resources Mentioned
- Stanford Visualization Group
- Applying Color Theory to Digital Media and Visualization
- Interaction of Color
- Adobe Color
- Sign up for the exclusive waiting list for my new book.
- Take my online assessment is to identify the #1 silent killer of your data presentation success!
How to Connect with Theresa-Marie Rhyne:
Where I’m Speaking Next:
- September 28th, 2021: MeasureSummit Virtual Comference 2021
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me. Have some feedback you’d like to share, or a question? Leave a note in the comments below, and we’ll get back to you!
If you liked what you heard, I would love if you could leave me a rating or review in iTunes. Ratings & reviews are extremely appreciated and very important in the rankings algorithm. The more ratings, the better chance of fellow practitioners getting to hear this helpful information!
And finally, always remember: viz responsibly, my friends.