Ross Simmonds is Here to Help You Optimize Your Data Story Today!
This episode is an exploration of the need for clear messaging when presenting complex data and how to adapt your data story to create the most impact.
Ross Simmonds is the Founder of Foundation Marketing, a content marketing agency that combines data and creativity to develop & serve ambitious brands. Foundation Marketing provides content marketing services to organizations all over the world ranging from some of the fastest-growing startups & consumer products to global Fortune 500 brands.
Ross and the team at Foundation have launched marketing initiatives that reach millions of people and generate millions of new business opportunities through SEO and social channels like Instagram, Slideshare, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and more.
And in this episode, Ross talks about his journey with presenting data, the most important lessons he’s learned, and where he learned them so you can too!
In This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- How Ross fell in love with data and created a career from a sports data analysis hobby to international stage presence.
- Common mistakes in data presentation and how to avoid them.
- How to think about presenting complex data to clients.
- Some helpful resource recommendations for showcasing data.
- Differences between data visualization for client content and public-facing content?
- Driving results from different marketing channels; making sense of all the pieces.
- Overcoming issues through better communications.
- Presentation trends and how to leverage attention grabbing strategies.
- Today’s ‘Upgrade’ segment; Ross talks about the power of Loom and Canva!
People, Blogs, and Resources Mentioned
- Storytelling with Data with Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic
- Presentation Zen with Garr Reynolds
- How to Lie with Statistics with Darrell Huff
- Good Charts with Scott Berinato
- 13th Documentary
- DataStory with Nancy Duarte
- Ross’s “Upgrades”: Loom for quick asynchronous analysis delivery, Canva for presentation design skills, and Slideshare for presentation inspiration
- My free 30-second online assessment to find out and overcome the #1 silent killer of your data presentation success
How to Connect with Ross Simmonds:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me. Have some feedback you’d like to share, or a question? Leave a note in the comments below, and we’ll get back to you!
Now, I'm going to ask two favors from you:
- If you're digging the show, don’t forget to hit the Follow buttons on iTunes or Spotify to never miss an episode.
- If you liked what you heard, I would love if you could leave me a rating or review in iTunes. Ratings & reviews are extremely appreciated and very important in the rankings algorithm. The more ratings, the better chance of fellow practitioners getting to hear this helpful information!
And finally, always remember: viz responsibly, my friends.