Breaking Down the Marketer - Developer Silos with Simo AhavaPresent Beyond Measure Ep. 033
*Note: This is episode 033 – the introduction calls this episode 034 – you did not miss an episode
Two words only: Simo. Ahava.
Simo Ahava is a recognized expert with a cult-like following on customizing web analytics and tag management solutions to improve the entire “life cycle” of data collection, processing, and reporting. He is the Senior Data Advocate at Reaktor and also writes a popular blog on all things Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager development.
With some of his main areas of expertise being in Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager, Google has appointed him as a Google Developer Expert. He is especially interested in the interface between marketing and development, and his focus is on increasing awareness, skills, and critical thinking around data.
As an experienced speaker and prolific blogger, he can be seen and heard at various conferences, in product forums, support communities, and developer meet-ups alike.
Simo’s passion for all things web development began when he was just 12 years old, when he wrote his first website. Today, he is a sought out speaker because of his ability to simply knowledge share, without any other agenda. His ideas on how to connect with the audience and other speakers, while also making an impact, will provide you with tools for enhancing your own presentations.
And in this episode, Simo brings his extensive knowledge of website development, along with ideas for achieving an integrated workspace by dropping silo’s and labels, and advice for presenting and growing by observing and taking risks.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn…
- How Simo’s website development journey began when he was 12 or 13 years old and built his first website.
- His methods for shaping his presentations around the knowledge of his current audience, and his emphasis on ensuring he speaks at a level that educates and also inspires growth.
- His views on authority being earned by actions instead of granted by title.
- How we are all hybrid beings and the importance of workplaces dropping labels and silo’s to allow for integrated work.
- His ideas for changing incentives from encouraging individual performance, and instead motivating everyone working toward a common goal.
- The importance of giving presentations for the purpose of knowledge sharing, and how and when not to deliver a sales pitch.
- His advice about taking the good advice from the people you respect, but to also take intelligent risks.
Resources & Links Mentioned
- Learn more about Matt Gershoff.
- Learn more about Cole Nussbaumer Knaflic.
- Code Academy.
- Scrum Alliance Website.
- Github is an amazing open-source repository for budding developers who want to learn coding and programming terminology.
How to Keep Up with Simo:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me. Have some feedback you’d like to share, or a question for Simo? Leave a note in the comments below, and we’ll get back to you!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the left of the post.
If you liked what you heard, I would love if you could leave me a rating or review in iTunes. Ratings & reviews are extremely appreciated and very important in the rankings algorithm. The more ratings, the better chance of fellow practitioners getting to hear this helpful information!
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates and never miss a show.
A very, very special thanks to Simo for joining me this week. And as always, viz responsibly, my friends.
What’s your burning question for Simo about breaking the silos between marketing and development?